The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club modernizes by moving exclusively to advanced booking making its beloved tag board a tangible token of its illustrious past.
Raonic Race for Kids inaugural event is held at The Toronto Tennis Lawn Club and attended by tennis stars Andy Roddick and Serena Williams. Raonic, who is Canada’s most successful singles player in history starts his foundation after meeting a young girl with a prosthetic arm, who was using ‘Kids Tennis’ as part of her therapy.
Present day at The Toronto Lawn Tennis Club.
1959 was a year of change for the Lawn, a departure from the original philosophy of the club.
1946 Saw the resumption of Davis Cup tennis; 1948 saw the return of the Canadian Championships to Toronto; In 1950, the Belgium Davis Cup team played some exhibition matches at the Lawn. The Canadian Davis Cup team contained Lorne Main; The 1952 Ontario Championships were played at The Lawn and Louise Brown lost the final to Hanna Sladek.
1921 is a memorable year for a member, whose portrait hangs in the lounge, Doug Philpott. It was the year that he played in his first tournament at the Lawn, and he remembers that he won his first round match.
This era saw many high profile exhibitions and matches such as the 1919 Australian Davis Cup Meet.
Official opening of the new grounds took place on Saturday, May 10. The new grounds immediately became the centre of tournament tennis again. The Ontario championships were held there in July and although the National championships – a closed affair – were played on ten new grass courts at the Broadview Y in the second week of August, they were followed by the C.L.T.A. championships, that month, as reported in Saturday Night. “The present summer is the T.L.T.C.’s first season in their new quarters on Price Street, east of Yonge and south of the C.P.R. tracks. Here on a plan of grounds enclosed by a brick wall 20’ high, in time to be obscures by a close line of poplar trees, 20 clay courts have been laid out and the clubhouse erected. The clubhouse is of grey stucco and in the Mexico or hacienda style of architecture, with spacious upper and lower balconies overlooking the courts.
1900 was the last year for the Lawn at 149 College. The decision to move may indeed have been made in 1899 or else very early in 1900, since clay courts at the club’s new location on Bathurst Street were laid in time to open the season on May 24, 1900.
1895 proved a milestone in the history of the club, for in that year it gave up its courts on Front Street and threw in its lot with the Toronto Athletic Club at 149 College Street, which for a long time housed 52 Division of the Metropolitan Toronto Police Force and now is a home for a section of the Ontario College of Art.